Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book of Days "Love..."

Thanks for the feedback on my Book of Days pages!  I'm glad you like the step-by-step photos.  I will try to do more of those for you!  Here's one for my latest Book of Days journal page...

Here's the final page...

And here are the steps it took to get there...

The original base page is the sheet music for "What the World Needs Now is Love."  I added some hot pink craft paint, and added Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle Paint in a few places over the top of that. Then scrapbook paper; red acrylic paint through a Julie Balzer stencil, and turquoise paint over the top of that.  I wiped a bunch of the turquoise paint off so you could see some of the crackles.  Then added a little brown ink with a sponge to emphasize the crackles some more...  


I thought I'd add a heart to go with the "love" theme.  I cut one out of some misted dictionary paper, but discovered I liked the negative space better, so I stuck that on with a glue stick...


Then I covered the negative space up with the original heart, and sprayed some yellow ink over the top of the page...

This made me think of how I love birds, so I drew the basic shape of a bird with my china marker, and added a little stoop for him to stand on...


Started filling in the details of the bird with white acrylic ink, and grown and silver acrylic paint...


Filled in his belly with orange paint, then added some detail and shading with Inktense colored pencils and india ink...


 Added journaling for the day, and realized I wanted to write more than I had room for...


so I added a tag...

Cut the word Love out of that same dictionary paper that the heart was cut from and stuck that on the front of the tag with a glue stick.  And that brings us back to the finished page...

To learn more about the Book of Days project (or to start your own), click here to go to Effy Wild's Forum.

In my last post, Kelly asked about the origin of the phrase "It is well with my soul."  Thanks for the question Kelly!  All I know about the phrase is that the song is originally an old christian hymn.  There is a little bit of background in the description of the video here.  I only know about it because it's on my Jars of Clay album.  For me it's all about being at peace in your heart no matter what is going on around you.

I can't remember if I've mentioned that I signed up for the Life Book 2013 workshop?  Are any of you participating in that one?  It's a year long art journaling endeavor and it looks fantastic!  Tam Laporte (aka willowing) is coordinating the event, and she has her Life Book for this year posted on her blog this week. After seeing it, now I'm REALLY inspired!  Check it out here.

Also, we've extended the deadline for our current set of Scrapping The Music challenges, to accommodate this busy time of the year.  We'd really LOVE to have you play along with us!  Check it out here!

That's all for today folks! Let me know if you have questions!  Thanks so much for visiting and I will see you again soon!

5 comments:

laury55 said...

wow love your page Michelle! this little bird is awesome

Sharon Fritchman said...

Awesome page, Michelle! Thank you for the tutorial about how you made it!!!

dawn said...

LOVE LOVE SO MUCH ON THIS PAGE!! First I want to say THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THE SHOWING THE PROCESS... this helps me so much to understand how you create and collage, LOVE THIS!!!Please keep doing them when you can!!!!

How cool that the first thing I loved about the page was the tag you added, had no idea the story behind but now makes it more special. GREAT JOB ON THIS!!

your little bird is so sweet and pretty colors for him and drawing of it.

The fun background colors and texture are awesome!!!

The negative heart is soooo COOL!!!

Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring me as always!!

Will check out the link for the class, thanks!

It was so nice to see your comments on my blog, happy you could see my PL caught up post, you did miss some exciting things. I am inspired by you and your husband's HM trips, I want one so bad now with my hubby, thanks for inspiring me to celebrate more of our marriage and togetherness!!!
HAPPY WEEKEND!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!!!!! I love love love that heart and LOVING how you added the title to the tag! You always inspire me Michelle!!!

laurie said...

it is so much fun to see how you create a page! thanks for sharing.