Friday, October 28, 2011

New Journal Pages and a Little about Organization...

I did something I almost never do with the last couple days of journal pages. I turned them sideways (gasp)! The reason had to do with that little wolf on the left hand page right next to the number 26. See him?
The base of the left-hand page is a map, and that wolf was part of it. I really wanted to use him on my page, which meant turning it sideways. I decided it was better to turn them both sideways, than just one, so that's what I did.

Here's how it looks if you twist the book around so you can see it right...

Closeups...
The image on this one came from a songbook from my childhood, and the lizard is a stamp that I inked with a poster paint marker. I punched some holes in the paper just for fun. :0)


On this one I wanted to tone down the busyness of the map, so I painted it with blue acrylic, but first I used some clear crackle paint over the wolf, which acted as a resist. I pasted tissue paper strips on top with a glue stick for journaling.

Lou asked about how I organize my collage images; so I thought I'd share a few pics with you all...

In my studio I have this rolling cart which contains collage ephemera. I just divide it into three categories: Images, Journaling (tags, spots, and ledger paper, etc), and backgrounds...

For crops I have it organized even better. I have these four folders which fit perfectly into my rolling cart:

I can't remember who makes these things (cropper hopper?), but I got them at Archiver's and they're fabulous! Here's a closeup of the categories...

and here's how the specialty folder looks when open...
Specialty paper is a broad term I give to papers that are a little out of the ordinary, like tissue paper, gift wrap, handmade, wallpaper, etc. I love how these folders give you pockets for different sized pieces. It makes it easy to keep track of the little bits.


Here's the text/ledger paper folder when open...

I also have a big jumbled up box of stuff that has no organization at all - ha. What I tend to do is grab from that box when I need to refill my organized boxes. So far it's working great.

I hope that is helpful!

Thanks for visiting and see you again soon!

9 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I thinking the sideways page really works! I loveeeeeeee the way you organize the different categories!! I kinda 'threw' together my scrap 'closet' when we moved... I really NEED to get it organized! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Alison said...

Love those folders you have to organise you papers. Love the pages you have done

McMGrad89 said...

So organized. I will have to come back and check it when we move next week and I start organizing my creative space.

caroline hancock / Scrappercaz said...

Great pages , i love that wolf. You have some great storage units :)

dawn said...

WOW these pages are so bright and creative. I like everything about them. Ok didn't know you could write on tissue paper and not worry about it tearing on you, will have to try that. Do you have a cloud punch/stamp or are they cut free handed, the look great. Cool having it sideways.

WOW again for your amazing folders. I've never seen any with the pockets. That would be great for all of us crafters. Thanks for sharing that with us. I have all mine in a overfilling folder, need to rethink these.

Have a good weekend. Love seeing all this.

donna!ee said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU MUCH for the organization tips...oh, oh AND your bold pages are vivid & inspiring! blest be :)

Lou said...

THANK YOU for taking the time to photograph and share your organization! It's a simple system, but effective. I always tend to overthink and make it more complicated than it needs to be. Love the pages too!

Siel said...

That's so well organized- you 've got a great system :)

Elizabeth said...

GREAT system you have going. No wonder your pages are always so beautiful. And I love those folders. I looked on Archivers and Amazon but can't find them. If you come across a link, please share. THANK YOU!