Thursday, January 6, 2011

Art Journal Every Day - Week One...

I have been having so much fun with the Art Journal Every Day challenge! I think the most freeing thing about it has been the thought that I don't have to finish a page every day - just work on something for 10 minutes or so. I've also adopted the idea that I can just grab any journal willy nilly and work in it. No schedule - whatever I'm in the mood for - yeayyy! The results of my first week are these two finished pages:

The first one is in my doodle book...

The second one is in my watercolor sketch book - this one is for the sketchbook challenge...

I'm really happy with how each of them turned out. I'm amazed at what you can do with just a few minutes here and there. It adds up over a week's time!

Here's how the process went over the course of a week:

Friday, January 31:

I pasted the elephant illustration in my doodle book and started doodling around him during phone calls...

later in the day I started coloring with my markers...


Saturday, January 1st:

The sketchbook challenge started (click here to check it out). The theme for January is "Highly Prized." I had this photo of Willie that I love, so I decided to try to sketch it. It felt a little intimidating because I haven't sketched in years....


I told myself - just ten minutes, and don't stress about it. I was happy with how it started out (and glad I had chosen a very small book to sketch in)...

more doodling...

Sunday, January 2:
I added some white highlights with my sharpie, and decided drawing is fun again!

Later I started pasting background tidbits willy nilly into my Nancy Drew Journal...


More coloring doodles...


Tuesday, January 4:

Finished my first doodle page!


Wednesday, January 5:

Added some cool greys and finished my first sketchbook challenge page!

This 10 minutes at a time approach to art journaling is so much fun! How about you? Are you doing the sketchbook challenge and/or the Art Journaling Every Day (AJED) challenge? How's it going?

I'm looking forward to checking out Julie's update on AJED tomorrow!

Tomorrow I will be back to share some photos of a beautiful paper line designed by a friend - I just received it and can't wait to start playing!

Thanks for visiting and have an awesome day!

8 comments:

Candy Bryant said...

Wow, Michelle. I knew you were talented, but I didn't know you could draw like that. Willie looks awesome.
Haouli Makahiki Hou!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeee that sketch of Willie...and you know I loveeeeeeeeeee your doodles!!!!!! Awesome pages, both of them! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

chris a said...

What a beautiful sketch of Willie - I love how you showed each day's progress on your pages - I am also doing the sketchbook challenge and will be posting some sketches. have a super week!

Deb said...

You are incredibly talented! Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

milkcan said...

Love this post! Love seeing your progress!

Marit said...

It's great that you took photos in between so we can see the process... fun doodling and wonderful sketch Michelle!

McMGrad89 said...

You are so talented, Michelle! I love the sketch of Willie. I probably would have had to do a tracing or painted over photo. I am not confident in my perspective for sketches like that, but thanks for sharing the process for both pages. I can't wait to see more in your Nancy Drew book.

Annemarie

Scatter said...

Awesome work. The cat is spectacular. The Doodle Page...so reminds me of 'Peter Max'!