Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Handmade Day Planner...

So I got this idea one night recently, that I HAD to make myself a new day planner. The one I was using was nice, but wayyyyyy too small to fit my large handwriting in, and it was driving me crazy. So, I got busy (more like obsessed - I couldn't stop til it was done), and this is what I came up with...
The cover is an old Waylon Jennings album that I got at the thrift store - talk about vintage! It must have been one of his first ones. I've just been waiting for the right project to use it. The houndstooth gaffer tape on the bottom was a gift from my dear friend Julie. (thank you Julie!!!) I love it so much, and you can't get it anymore, so I have been waiting for the right project for that too...



Inside the front cover I made a pocket with the bottom part of the album cover, and an intro page with an image from papayaart.com...


The tabs for the months are all different...


I had fun coming up with funky combinations of paper for each month's background paper. The monthly calendar was one I designed in my word processing program. I wanted big, lined, boxes for each day...


In between each month I left one blank, double page spread, so I can make my planner into some kind of scrapbook to keep at the end of the year. I'm thinking I might add random world/local/musical news to these pages...



The inside back cover has another pocket with part of the back cover of the album. It's got the date on it - 1967!


And here's the back cover, which is the back of the album cover. I love the little paragraph where they describe who Waylon is. He must not have been very famous yet!

So, that's my new planner! It starts with August 2010 and goes through the end of 2011. I'm already LOVING using it!

Tomorrow I will be back with more news. Thanks so much for visiting!!!

13 comments:

Marit said...

OHMY... I'm in love with your planner... holymoly - it's FABULOUS!!! I hope it will get filled with good things, happy days and nice appointments!

Alison said...

I love this and im totally inspired. I do have a question for you, do you pad the front and back cover of your planner? My mum makes lots of different albums using her zutter and record covers like you have done with your planner but she pads her covers with i think its quilting inner(sorry not 100% sure what its called) this does give the covers a nice feel and look and was jsut wondering if you do that with yours or not. Im very much inspired to make my own planner and make it so it suits me being left handed so that writing in it will be easier. Thanks for shaing with us

McMGrad89 said...

So creative! I might use a similar idea to do my travel journal. thanks for the inspiration.

I love how the tabs are on the side AND the top! Great idea.

erinrwillis said...

This is the coolest. I love the mix of papers you used - & that album cover makes me smile! I love the back, where it says "Waylon Jennings is a guy who loves to sing." :)

What binding tool do you have? Do you like it?

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

OMYGOSH!!!! Michelle!!! This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!! And I am IN LOVE with the 'paragraph' about him on the back....how unique is that?!?!?! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Deb said...

So cool! You are incredibly creative and talented! Thanks for all the inspo and eye candy!

laury55 said...

just gorgeous...love the picture with the rails and the papaya image
my day planner also ends in August should also think to make a new one
thanks for the inspiration

anne g-i said...

what a fabulous idea!! are you using it for work or just to track your scrappy to-dos?? Love the pockets and blank pages.

Thinkie said...

too bad that you made a mistakes with the dates and days but it looks great!

Lena said...

Absolutely a fantastic idea to use an album cover!!! I'm totally in love with this planner!! (too bad you made a mistake with the days and dates but luckily you are able to fix it!!)

Bekka said...

Wow! This is amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing Michelle!
LOVE it!

anna said...

So cool!!