Saturday, August 15, 2009

My "Next Step" Altered Book is Finally Finished...

Oh my gosh I had so much fun working on this project! I created it as a project for The Next Step challenge blog's current prompt, which is to use misting and masking, and I'm really happy with how it turned out... I used the August Studio Calico kit, because, well - it just fit perfectly for the mood I wanted to create! The texture is made with a paper towel and gel medium. The glitter around the frame is vintage glass glitter and the lace is vintage lace from my stash. I used a charcoal stamp pad to do the masking.

Here's a closeup...

The inside cover...

The title page is a project for Dina Wakely's Masterful Art Journaling Class. The assignment was to do a self-portrait that shows your personality - or how you are feeling right now...
I used Adirondack terracotta spray ink for the background on this, and masked the butterfly.

Here's the inside back cover...
The left side page is more spray ink combined with pink acrylic.

And finally, here's the back cover.
I absolutely loved working with the new Studio Calico kit! I used the add-on called "No Place Like Home." It's got a vintage feel with a little bit of magic thrown in. It's fantabulous!

I'm going to use it as an art journal. I can't wait to get started with it!

So, I'm off to get a haircut today, then I should be able to do some scrapping! Next on my project list is the current Lotus Paperie challenge, which is to use watercolor on a page! Yeayyyy!

I hope your Saturday is fantastic! I will be back tomorrow with another update - thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful Michelle! I love your writing and misting. And the entire feel. Lovely work.

Erika said...

love the vintage look

Marit said...

Oh... *sigh* ... will mine be as wonderful??? I'm planning to make a cover for LC-art journal, but I'm affraid to start - might mess it up you know. Seeing yours gives me courage. I LOVE that photo of you!!!

Nathalie Kalbach said...

this is sooo amazing!!!

bethchien said...

Girl, that is absolutely gorgeous! I love the rich colors and the beautiful textures! I buy vintage german glass glitter online. I love it sooo much!!!!
And I love Fleetwood Mac, especially Stevie Nicks. I got to see Lindsey Buckingham 6 months or so ago in St. Louis. He was really good solo, too.
This is an amazing project! So inspiring!
B

erinrwillis said...

Ohhhh, love that vintagey cover, that lace and glitter! And the first page w/that pic of you - so FUN!!

sarah said...

wow!!! LOVE this!

hugs,
sarah.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is so fantastic!!! I absolutely love how you get so much texture!

Lucy Edson said...

Wow!! I love this, Michelle!! Such wonderful rich colors and creative misting!!

Thanks for playing along with us at The Next Step!! :)