Sunday, April 5, 2009

Weekend Update...

I've been so anxious for this week's song to go up at the Scrapping The Music blog! It is one I picked - "Dream On" by Aerosmith - I love that song and I'm so glad the design team wanted to do it! Aerosmith was my fave band in high school, and this song has a lot of meaning for me.

The bird is hand-drawn and represents the Phoenix, a mythical bird that is said to have burned in it's nest and then been reborn from the ashes. This lyric from the song has always served as a reminder for me that only through hard times are we able to gain strength to rise above and appreciate the good times fully.

The background is masking tape covered with acrylic paint and spray ink. flames are painted with acrylic on a separate sheet of paper and cut out. the bird is drawn on fancy tissue paper (gift wrap) and glued onto lightweight cardboard which I then colored with colored pencil. He has a rhinestone eye. Come on over and check out the awesome layouts the rest of the design team came up with - I hope you will be inspired to play along!

So, the weekend is coming to an end. They go too fast, don't they? Life in general speeds by at breakneck speed sometimes. I remember being a kid and thinking that it took FOREVER for the school year to end. My mother used to always say "don't wish your life away," and now I know what she meant. Each day is so precious - I just want to capture every moment. My guess is I'm not alone in feeling that way. That's why we scrapbook. That's what I love about art in general - it takes a feeling, a thought, a moment - and turns it into something tangible. I love that.

I will be back tomorrow with a Project 365 update and whatever else I can come up with! Thanks for stopping by my friends!

4 comments:

Nathalie Kalbach said...

Wooooww. I so love this page- strong and wonderful!

Marit said...

Hi there Michelle! I found you on SIStv, but I like personal blogging far better! So here I am! Love your work, love your latest LO (gorgeous!) and I sure hope over at "scrapping the music" (been there before, but never played along. Maybe I will sometime, I used a lot of lyrics before in my work - I love using lyrics!)

kristinak said...

That bird is stunning!!! Love what you did. :)
As for making moments count, I couldn't agree more. I think it's easy to forget that when we are going through our everyday tasks. Thanks for the reminder!!

Anonymous said...

wow that bird is fabulous...amazing.. should I go on?